In today’s episode, I am sharing my experience with anxiety throughout my life and opening up the discussion on mental health. I am talking about why I believe there should not be any shame around taking medication for anxiety and depression, and my journey to try more natural and holistic remedies.
- Richard and I both deal with anxiety, you can hear each of our stories in Episode 10 and 11 where we share each of our unique journeys.
- Genetics and environment factor into mental health, as well as life events. It’s important to take note of those things in order to understand yourself, or a loved one.
- It took time to realize the anxiety stemmed from health concerns due to childhood experiences with unexpected losses.
- The love hate relationship with time; not enough, needing to work harder, so that more is accomplished in an effort to have all experiences in one small lifetime.
- Simple explanation of what SSRIs are (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) and how they can help with anxiety.
- How a doctor explained my body in a way that helped me break free from shame
- After a few weeks on Lexapro, getting through the side effects, it was like a light went on and the nervous feelings, irritations and worries went away.
- When going off a medication it’s critical to wean yourself slowly to help with side effects and make the transition smoother.
- The next part of my journey and researching natural remedies for anxiety.
In the end, whether taking medication, natural supplements, or both, asking for help is important and there is no shame in your mental health journey.
This episode is sponsored by She Made Herself a Home, my book that will help you discover how to create a home that is inviting, beautiful, functional and uniquely personal all while staying on budget. It is a home decor planner that features beautiful photography from more than 40 real homes and contributions from other successful home decor bloggers. I promise it will make home designing an exciting, un-intimidating process. My hope is that these pages spark your passions, guide you to create spaces you love and most importantly give you the confidence to try something new. Anyone, no matter age, status, income level or past can make a home for herself and those she loves. Because no one has to break the bank to bring new life, intention and purpose to a home. You can buy your copy anywhere books are sold or at crateandcottage.com/book.
Subscribe and Review in iTunes
Get notified when new episodes are out by clicking the subscribe button here.
If you listen and enjoy my episodes, I would love if you left me a review in iTunes as well. This helps more people find the podcast!