Aren’t we all finding ourselves a little out of sorts as we start the 2020 school year together? Whether you are doing hybrid school a couple of days a week, virtual learning, homeschooling completely, or sending your children to school 5 days a week in a mask, all of our schooling looks a little different this year. As a homeschool mom, going into my 6th year of homeschooling, per my choice, I thought I’d share five tips that have helped me along the way in hopes of encouraging you in this new unknown season.
- Understand your Why/Write that Mantra– Figure out your mantra. Mine will look completely different from yours but it will remind you day in and out why you made this choice [4:03]
- Forget the idea that your home is the standard classroom– This isn’t a typical classroom. This isn’t the typical year. This is now your classroom. Learn to adapt to what works best for your kids and give yourself immense grace. [8:43]
- Give yourself a space– We all need that “space” so clutter doesn’t accumulate. You may not have a designated classroom in your home but create a zone for materials. If that’s a corner of the living room, a tabletop in the laundry room, or a full-on extra bedroom turned classroom, make yourself a space to keep the items you’ll use. [11:22]
- Take Time to Listen– Take the time to listen and notice what your kids are drawn to. Recognizing interests and qualities in your children unique to themselves, pushing them gently toward those, and feeding their natural born gifts and talents may indeed guide them into their purpose way before they have to go through the drudgery of life trying to discover it. [14:08]
- Plan – I know this kind of goes against the student led free spirit adapt to the day talk that I mentioned above, but you know yourself and what works best for you. Everyone’s plan will look differently this year. Plan your expectations and be ok with disappointment. Go with your gut always and don’t forget you aren’t alone. [18:13]
Here is to the 2020 school year momma’s. May it be different in the most amazing way, may it be enlightening, may it be a time you learn things you never knew about your children, may it be a time of self-discovery, and may we see how amazing an unplanned year can really be. Happy teaching!
This episode is sponsored by She Made Herself a Home, my book that will help you discover how to create a home that is inviting, beautiful, functional and uniquely personal all while staying on budget. It is a home decor planner that features beautiful photography from more than 40 real homes and contributions from other successful home decor bloggers. I promise it will make home designing an exciting, un-intimidating process. My hope is that these pages spark your passions, guide you to create spaces you love and most importantly give you the confidence to try something new. Anyone, no matter age, status, income level or past can make a home for herself and those she loves. Because no one has to break the bank to bring new life, intention and purpose to a home. You can buy your copy anywhere books are sold or at crateandcottage.com/book.
Subscribe and Review in iTunes
Get notified when new episodes are out by clicking the subscribe button here.
If you listen and enjoy my episodes, I would love if you left me a review in iTunes as well. This helps more people find the podcast!